Madison, WI Header
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Bookmark and Share
File #: 39673    Version: 1 Name: CARPC conduct a public values survey
Type: Resolution Status: Passed
File created: 8/11/2015 In control: BOARD OF ESTIMATES (ended 4/2017)
On agenda: 9/1/2015 Final action: 9/15/2015
Enactment date: 9/21/2015 Enactment #: RES-15-00733
Title: Authorizing the Mayor and City Clerk to enter into an agreement with the Capital Area Regional Planning Commission (CARPC) on behalf of the Madison Area Transportation Planning Board to provide funding for a joint project to conduct a public values survey.
Sponsors: Mark Clear, Larry Palm
Attachments: 1. City and CARPC Agreement_Values Survey Project.pdf

Fiscal Note

The 2015 Operating Budget for the Planning Division includes funding for the survey (GL Account No. 65300-54645-00000, Project String 65315-65-200-654015).

Title

Authorizing the Mayor and City Clerk to enter into an agreement with the Capital Area Regional Planning Commission (CARPC) on behalf of the Madison Area Transportation Planning Board to provide funding for a joint project to conduct a public values survey.

Body

WHEREAS, the City of Madison Planning Division provides staffing for the Madison Area Transportation Planning Board (MATPB) and the city serves as the MATPB’s fiscal and administrative agent; and

 

WHEREAS, the MATPB is the designated Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for the Madison Metropolitan Area with responsibilities to perform metropolitan transportation planning and programming activities, including development of a long-range multi-modal regional transportation plan; and

 

WHEREAS, the Capital Area Regional Planning Commission (CARPC) is the regional land use planning and area-wide water quality management planning agency for the Dane County region with responsibilities that include preparing a master plan for the physical development of the region; and

 

WHEREAS, whereas the MATPB and CARPC have agreed to work together on a project to conduct values based research and a public survey that addresses growth, housing, transportation, and other issues that impact the quality of life in the region; and

 

WHEREAS, the MATPB and CARPC have agreed to contract with Heart+Mind Strategies to conduct the research and survey; and

 

WHEREAS, this values and priorities research and survey process pioneered by Heart+Mind Strategies has been used successfully in many regions around the country to support regional visioning and planning processes resulting in consensus on growth, transportation, economic development, and other strategies; and

 

WHEREAS, the results of the regional values study will serve as an important foundation for development of the MATPB’s Regional Transportation Plan 2050 and for CARPC’s planned update of the Regional Development Framework for which a regional visioning and scenario planning process will be utilized; and

 

WHEREAS, CARPC will serve as the lead contracting agency for the project; and

 

WHEREAS, at its July 9, 2015 meeting CARPC approved entering into the contract with Heart+Mind Strategies to conduct the survey and entering into an agreement with the City of Madison to jointly oversee the study; and

 

WHEREAS, the values and priorities research and survey is estimated to cost $92,500 and the MATPB has agreed to cover $32,500 or 35% of the final cost, if more than estimated, for its share of the cost of the survey; and

 

WHEREAS, on August 5, 2015 the MATPB approved Resolution TPB No. 105 authorizing the City of Madison to enter into an agreement with CARPC to jointly oversee the survey project and provide funding for it; and

 

WHEREAS, CARPC will invoice the city/MATPB for 60% of the city’s share of the project cost or $19,500 upon execution of a consulting agreement between CARPC and the consultant and invoice the remaining 40% balance upon completion of the project; and

 

WHEREAS, funding for the survey is included the MATPB’s 2015 budget, which is part of the City Planning Division budget, with 85% of the MATPB’s funding coming from federal and state transportation planning funds:

 

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that the Mayor and the City Clerk are authorized to enter into the attached agreement with CARPC on behalf of the MATPB to jointly oversee and provide funding for the values based research and survey to be conducted by Mind+Heart Strategies.