City of Madison, Wisconsin | Legislative Information Center
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Bookmark and Share
File #: 60232    Version: 1 Name: Authorizing the Mayor and City Clerk to enter into an intermunicipal agreement with the Town of Blooming Grove for design, construction and maintenance of a stormwater conveyance system located in the Town of Blooming Grove Adjacent to the City of Madison
Type: Resolution Status: Passed
File created: 4/14/2020 In control: Engineering Division
On agenda: 4/21/2020 Final action: 5/5/2020
Enactment date: 5/12/2020 Enactment #: RES-20-00358
Title: Authorizing the Mayor and City Clerk to enter into an intermunicipal agreement with the Town of Blooming Grove for design, construction and maintenance of a stormwater conveyance system located in the Town of Blooming Grove Adjacent to the City of Madison. (16th AD)
Sponsors: Michael J. Tierney
Attachments: 1. Sprecher_Figure_2020Apr14.pdf

Fiscal Note

The proposed resolution authorizes the Mayor and City Clerk to enter into an agreement with the Town of Blooming Grove for design, construction, and maintenance of a stormwater conveyance system located in the Town of Blooming Grove adjacent to the City of Madison at a total estimated cost of $200,000. Under this agreement, the City of Madison would be charged 70%  of project costs for design, permitting, and capital improvements ($140,000) and the Town of Blooming Grove would be charged the remaining 30%. These percentages correspond to an approximate percent of the watershed drainage area flow contributions that are within the City of Madison’s corporate limits. Funding is provided in the 2020 Adopted Stormwater Utility Operating Budget Stormwater Quality System Improvements Program (12960).

Title

Authorizing the Mayor and City Clerk to enter into an intermunicipal agreement with the Town of Blooming Grove for design, construction and maintenance of a stormwater conveyance system located in the Town of Blooming Grove Adjacent to the City of Madison. (16th AD)

Body

WHEREAS, the Town of Blooming Grove (the “Town”) has requested City of Madison’s (the “City) assistance in redesign and repair of an existing greenway and conveyance system (the “System”) located in the Town; and

WHEREAS, the City and Town each have contributing drainage areas that flows through the System; and

WHEREAS, the existing ditches located both within the City and the Town are in need of repair and have caused the System to eroded become unstable; and

WHEREAS, the eroded nature of the System is causing downstream damages to a property located within the City; and

WHEREAS, this portion of the Town will be annexed into the City in 2027; and

WHEREAS, it is in the City’s and Town’s best interest to work on a joint solution prior to the official annexation date; and

WHEREAS, the City is in a position to design and let a public works contract for the repair to the System; and

WHEREAS, the Town has agreed to have the City design and let a contract for the repair of the System and will pay their proportionate share for this work; and

WHEREAS, the Town has agreed to complete necessary repairs to the ditch and System to stabilize the ground in 2020; and

WHEREAS, if the City and Town wish to seek grant funding to offset the costs of the project they hereby agree to be joint applicants for any such grants; and

WHEREAS, upon completion of the contracted work the City and Town hereby agree to complete necessary maintenance of the improvements until such time as the Town is annexed into the City in 2027.

 

NOW THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that the Mayor and City Clerk are authorized to enter into an Intermunicipal Agreement with the Town of Blooming Grove to design, construct and maintain a stormwater conveyance system located in the Town of Blooming Grove adjacent to the City of Madison, and that the City of Madison’s share of the cost of design, permitting and construction shall be consistent with percentages as described in the Fiscal Note.