Madison, WI Header
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Bookmark and Share
File #: 31330    Version: 1 Name: Amendment to the 2013 Public Health Capital Budgets
Type: Resolution Status: Passed
File created: 9/3/2013 In control: BOARD OF ESTIMATES (ended 4/2017)
On agenda: 10/1/2013 Final action: 10/1/2013
Enactment date: 10/3/2013 Enactment #: RES-13-00755
Title: Amendment to the 2013 Public Health Capital Budget
Sponsors: Matthew J. Phair
Fiscal Note
This resolution authorizes the expenditure of available funding of $10,100 from the 2013 Capital Budget for the purpose of acquiring ammonia distillation equipment for the Public Health Lab.  Funding is available in Account 810606.  
Title
Amendment to the 2013 Public Health Capital Budget
Body
Preamble:
The chemistry section of the Public Health Lab tests for ammonia in samples from lakes and rivers, illicit discharge and sewage releases, and special City Engineering project samples.
 
We have run ammonia sample tests both with and without distillation. The results are not equivalent, so our recent audit by the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources requires a distillation step. We do not have distillation equipment in the laboratory, so are not able to comply with this requirement.  The inability to process samples for ammonia results in a loss of revenue.
 
The 2013 Capital Budget included $57,000 for the replacement of an autoclave. There is $20,000 remaining from this project. This resolution allows the expenditure of $10,100 from this project to cover the cost of distillation equipment required to test for ammonia.
 
Debt service for Public Health's capital budget is included in the Public Health Operating Budget. About 37% of the operating budget comes from fees and grants. The remaining 63% comes through tax levy support--the City provides about 45% of the tax levy support; the County covers the remaining 55%.
 
Body:
THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that $10,100 of available funding from the 2013 Capital Budget for Public Health-Madison and Dane County is authorized for the purpose of acquiring ammonia distillation equipment for the Public Health Laboratory.