Madison, WI Header
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Bookmark and Share
File #: 30676    Version: 1 Name: 2013 Justice Assistance Grant (JAG) - $103,161
Type: Resolution Status: Passed
File created: 6/21/2013 In control: BOARD OF ESTIMATES (ended 4/2017)
On agenda: 7/16/2013 Final action: 7/16/2013
Enactment date: 7/22/2013 Enactment #: RES-13-00547
Title: Authorizing the Mayor, City Clerk and Chief of Police to apply for and accept the FY 2013 Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant award in the amount of $103,161 and to utilize these funds to support several law enforcement initiatives
Sponsors: Paul R. Soglin
Fiscal Note
This grant will be accounted for in an interest-bearing special revenue fund (SG41).  The Police Department plans to use $31,090 of the grant proceeds to support 40% of a new 1.0 FTE Management Information Specialist 2 position for one year.  The remaining 60% funding ($46,635) for the new position will be requested as part of the 2014 operating budget process if additional grant revenue is not found.  If the remaining funding is not provided, the Police Department will need to request approval from the grantor to use the funds for a different purpose because City Ordinances prohibit creation of less than a .50 FTE position. There is no effect on the Expenditure Restraint Program or the levy associated with accepting the grant proceeds.  However, levy funding may be requested for 2014 for the remaining 60% of the new position and in future years to replace the grant funding.
 
Title
Authorizing the Mayor, City Clerk and Chief of Police to apply for and accept the FY 2013 Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant award in the amount of $103,161 and to utilize these funds to support several law enforcement initiatives
 
Body
WHEREAS, the U.S. Department of Justice through the Office of Justice Programs, has designated the City of Madison to receive an Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant (JAG) award; and,
 
WHEREAS, the terms of the grant require that Dane County and the City of Madison submit a joint application under one agency; and,
 
WHEREAS, in June 2013, Mayor Paul Soglin and County Executive Joseph Parisi signed a Memorandum of Understanding regarding a proposed plan for the allocation and administration of any funds awarded; and,
 
WHEREAS, a copy of this Memorandum of Agreement was circulated to all City of Madison alderpersons in June; and,
 
WHEREAS, a public hearing was held on June 26, 2013; and,
 
WHEREAS, previous awards have been utilized in the past to support the efforts of the Dane County Gang and Narcotics Task Force, the Dane County District Attorney's Office, the Dane County Drug Court, the Dane County District Attorney Crime Response Program, the Madison Police Department and the Dane County Sheriff's Office, and other local police departments.
 
NOW THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that the Mayor and the Chief of Police are authorized to apply for the FY2013 Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant; and,
 
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the Mayor, City Clerk, and Chief of Police are authorized to accept the $103,161 from the Office of Justice Programs, Bureau of Justice Assistance; and,
 
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the Police Department is authorized to spend the grant funds in accordance with the grant application, with modifications upon appropriate approvals from the Office of Justice Programs, as follows:
 
1)      Dane County will receive $25,300 which shall be used as follows:
 
o      $12,340 for the Dane County Department of Human Services Drug Court Treatment Program (SG41-57810)
o      $6,790 to the Dane County Sheriff's Office for forensic mobile data collection software and computers (SG41-57810)
o      $6,170  for the Dane County District Attorney Victim/Witness Program (SG41-57810)
 
2)      The City of Madison Police Department will receive $77,861 plus any accrued interest from the segregated fund, for the following to enhance law enforcement efforts:
 
o      $31,090 for 40% of the salary and benefits of an information technology support (MIS 2) position for one year (SG41-51110; SG41-52750)
o      $18,200 for mobile data collection and processing software (SG41-58510)
o      $14,771 for non-profit services in support of the Special Investigations Unit focused deterrence initiative (SG41-54920)
o      $8,800 for a electronic/optical instrument total station to improve vehicular crash scene mapping and analysis (SG41-58550)
o      $5,000 for supplies for youth academies and/or other youth programs, as well as general opportunities for youth to connect with law enforcement in a positive environment (SG41-55510)
 
BE IT FINALLY RESOLVED that the Finance Department and the Police Department are authorized to establish and/or maintain accounts as required for the administration of the grant funds.