City of Madison, Wisconsin | Legislative Information Center
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Bookmark and Share
File #: 18739    Version: 1 Name: 2010 Section 5309 Fixed Guideway Grant Application
Type: Resolution Status: Passed
File created: 6/2/2010 In control: TRANSIT AND PARKING COMMISSION (ended 06/2018)
On agenda: 7/20/2010 Final action: 7/20/2010
Enactment date: 7/21/2010 Enactment #: RES-10-00673
Title: Authorizing the Transit General Manager to file an application for a Section 5309 Formula Public Transit Capital Grant with the U.S. Department of Transportation and authorizing the Mayor and the City Clerk to execute the associated grant agreement with USDOT and the associated 13 (c) agreement with Teamsters Local No. 695.
Sponsors: Jed Sanborn, Brian L. Solomon, Chris Schmidt
Attachments: 1. 2010 Section 5309 Fixed Guideway Grant Application Budget.pdf
Fiscal Note
Funds under this grant will be used to support the Transit Division Capital budget for bus purchases. Up to 80% of the total project cost of $1,160,315 is funded by USDOT/FTA with the remaining 20% local share ($232,063) to be funded with general obligation debt.   The grants funds and request for general obligation borrowing will be included in the Metro Transit 2011 capital budget, subject to approval by the Common Council.
(Please see the attached document "2010 Section 5309 Fixed Guideway Grant Application Budget.")
Title
Authorizing the Transit General Manager to file an application for a Section 5309 Formula Public Transit Capital Grant with the U.S. Department of Transportation and authorizing the Mayor and the City Clerk to execute the associated grant agreement with USDOT and the associated 13 (c) agreement with Teamsters Local No. 695.
Body
PREAMBLE
Under Section 5309 (formerly known as Section 3 of the Federal Transit Act, as amended), capital funds are available for transit system capital improvements. Metro will use these funds to purchase buses to replace older buses still in service. The local share is funded in the Metro Capital budget.
 
WHEREAS, the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) has been delegated authority to award Federal financial assistance for a transportation project; and
 
WHEREAS, grants for financial assistance will impose certain obligations upon the City of Madison, including the provision of the local share of the project costs; and
 
WHEREAS, as a condition of the assistance, the City of Madison must provide all annual certifications and assurances required by FTA and negotiate an agreement relating to the protection of mass transit employees under the provisions of Section 5333(b), formerly Section 13 (c) of the Federal Transit Act, as amended; and
 
WHEREAS, the U.S. Department of Transportation's Master Agreement contains a provision which requires the City to indemnify, save and hold harmless the Federal Government against any liability, including costs and expenses, resulting from any willful or intentional violation by the City of Proprietary rights, copyrights, or right of privacy, arising out of the publication, translation, reproduction, delivery, use, or disposition of any data furnished under the projects; and
 
WHEREAS, pursuant to APM 1-1, the inclusion of such a provision requires the express approval of the Common Council,
 
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE COMMON COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF MADISON:
1. That the Transit General Manager is authorized to execute and file applications for capital and planning assistance on behalf of the City of Madison with FTA for Federal assistance authorized by Title 23 and Chapter 53 of Title 49, United States Code, or other Federal Statutes authorizing the above-mentioned projects set forth in the preamble and administered by FTA.
2. That the Transit General Manager is authorized to execute and file with such applications the annual certifications and assurances and other documents FTA requires before awarding a financial assistance grant.
3. That, in accordance with 3.58 of the MGO, the Transit General Manager, in conjunction with the Affirmative Action Director, is authorized to set forth and execute affirmative disadvantaged business policies in connection with the procurement needs of the grant's projects.
4. That the Mayor and City Clerk are authorized to execute grant agreements for the aforementioned applications.
5. That the agreements with FTA will contain indemnification provisions negotiated by and acceptable to Metro staff, the City Attorney and the Risk Manager.
6. That the Mayor and City Clerk are authorized to execute agreements pursuant to Section 5333 (b) under the Federal Transit Act, as amended, between the City of Madison, Wisconsin and Drivers, Salesmen, Warehousemen, Milk Processors, Cannery, Dairy Employees and Helpers Union Local 695, affiliated with the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, Chauffeurs, Warehousemen and Helpers of America, with reference to this grant application.