Madison, WI Header
File #: 05717    Version: 1 Name: Public Health IGA
Type: Resolution Status: Passed
File created: 2/19/2007 In control: BOARD OF HEALTH FOR MADISON AND DANE COUNTY
On agenda: 3/27/2007 Final action: 3/27/2007
Enactment date: 3/28/2007 Enactment #: RES-07-00392
Title: Approving an Intergovernmental Agreement between Dane County and the City of Madison to complete the merger of the public health agencies of the County and City.
Sponsors: David J. Cieslewicz, Judy K. Olson
Attachments: 1. Intergovernmental Agreement draft.pdf, 2. Appendix A--Support Services.pdf, 3. Appendix B--Facilities.pdf, 4. Appendix C--Attorney.pdf, 5. Appendix C--Attorney CORRECTED.pdf
Fiscal Note
This resolution approves the Intergovernmental Agreement (IGA) between the City of Madison and Dane County to create a city-county public health department. The agreement contains details regarding governance, the sharing of support services, budgeting and personnel issues. Portions of the city and county public health departments were merged in the 2007 budget. The IGA specifies that the remaining portions would be merged in the 2008 budget. Under the agreement and state statute, the cost of the operating and capital budgets would be apportioned according to the equalized value of the city and the county. For the 2007 budget, the City of Madison represented 45.3% of the county's total equalized value, with the remaining 54.7% located outside City boundaries. This apportionment formula would apply to services that are completely merged. The IGA provides that the city and county will negotiate an agreement on exactly which services will and will not be completely merged. The city or county will wholly fund any services that are not merged.

Some health services have already been merged in the 2007 budget, resulting in a shift of approximately $142,000 from the City property tax levy to the County levy. The merger of additional health services in 2008 and future years would result in a further reduction in the City tax levy, and a corresponding increase in the County tax levy. The amount of additional levy transfer would be directly proportional to the net costs of the additional services that are merged. The maximum potential levy shift can be estimated by a comparison of current levy amounts and relative apportioned values.

In 2007, Dane County levied $3,763,583 for public health services. For the same year, the City of Madison levied a net of $5,310,107 (which represents the Public Health Budget of $6,110,107 less $800,000 of public health license revenues). If no further services were merged, the additional levy reapportionment in...

Click here for full text