No appropriation required.
AMENDED - Affirming and Supporting the "Statement of Principles for the Homeless".
WHEREAS, the Equal Opportunities Commission met on September 12, 2013; and,
WHEREAS, members of the Equal Opportunities Commission discussed and recommended the drafting of a resolution to support a "Statement of Principles for the Homeless"; and,
WHEREAS, the following is the "Statement of Principles for the Homeless":
We believe that the rights, privacy and property of people who are homeless should be adequately safeguarded under the policies of the City of Madison.
We believe each person who is homeless should have a right to:
· Access the basic requirements necessary for sustaining life, including shelter, sanitation medical care, clothing and food,
· Move freely in public spaces, in the same manner as other persons, without harassment or intimidation.
from law enforcement officers,
· Have equal opportunities for employment,
· Exercise full citizenship and civil involvement, including registering to vote and voting,
· Have personal information protected,
· Have a reasonable expectation of security and privacy in his or her personal property,
· Receive equal treatment by state, county and municipal agencies
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, the Mayor and the Madison Common Council do hereby affirm and support the "Statement of Principles for the Homeless".